Important Changes to Sewer Lines/House Connections/Repair-Replace-New
TOWN OF BENGOUGH
Title: Sewer Lines/House Connections/Repair-Replace-New
EFFECTIVE DATE: March 1, 2022
This policy aims to provide a clear understanding of where responsibility lies in situations regarding sewer installation and repair.
- If the sewer line has to be repaired or replaced, the property owner shall be responsible for 100% of the costs up to the sewer main.
- The property owner shall hire a Town approved contractor to complete the work. The Public Works Employee will inspect the line before the trench is backfilled to ensure the work meets Town specifications.
- That all contractors and/or residents must obtain a permit to excavate any portion of the municipal property (i.e., boulevard or street) prior to the commencement of any work and further line locates must be completed by the contractor prior to the start of any excavation
- That one of the Public Works staff familiar with compaction stay on site to supervise any back filling on Town streets where compaction is required.
- The Town will pay the costs of cleaning the sewer main line.
- The Property Owner will be responsible for the costs of cleaning or unplugging the house sewer connection line to the sewer main.
- If the same blockage occurs three (3) times within a three-month time period, the sewer line is to be camera’d to determine the extent of the blockage at the owner’s expense. If the line requires repair or replacement, work will be completed as per Section 1-4.
For any new Sewer installation, the following conditions apply:
- For a new Sewer connection, the property owner is to pay all costs of installing the line including material, pavement and curb repairs to the main. Note: all work must be completed by Town approved contractors (i.e., certified plumbers, etc)
- The property owner will be charged for all supplies provided by the Town.
- The connection to the main is to be supervised by the Public Works Employee